Hello and welcome to another tutorial.
Today, I am going to show you how to set up your brand-new Cloudways server for optimal website speed.
Why choose Cloudways as a hosting provider?
Cloudways offers a fully managed cloud hosting that allows you to scale your hosting resources as you grow. They have a great infrastructure optimized for speed, performance, and security
Like many before us, we went ahead and switched our hosting from HostGator to Cloudways after doing some extensive research on all hosting providers.
The Digital Ocean Servers for $10/per month was the initial choice for us.
At first, we were not sure if the resources provided (see below) were sufficient for our needs. After a short live chat with Cloudways customer service, we were ensured that the $10/month plan is sufficient for websites with 30-70k monthly views. On top of that, you can host as many websites as you wish within these parameters on one server.
After setting up the server on Cloudways which just takes about 5min, I did some minor adjustments to ensure that we get the best performance out of our server on Cloudways:
Go to Server Management,
Click on Settings & Packages and
Adjust the Memory Limit to 256MB.
Go to Packages in the menu and update the following:
-> PHP to PHP 7.3
-> MySQL to MariaDB 10.3
-> Install Redis
After setting up the servers & successfully migrating our page to Cloudways (learn how to migrate your website with the Cloudways migration plugin), the results blew us away.
Look for yourself:
GTmetrix score with HostGator
GTmetrix score at Cloudways
Google Page Speed Insights for Mobile at Cloudways
Google Page Speed for Desktop at Cloudways
Pingdom at Cloudways
Having scores like that for the first time got us really excited!
It’s a great feeling knowing that the page’s performance is great and your users are having a much better experience.
We migrated our page using their WordPress plugin (tutorial) and had zero hick-ups.
It seems like the only negative feedback that Cloudways gets is for their customer support.
To us, it seemed like they’ve worked hard to improve on that front and personally, we could not be happier with it.
We were able to fix any issues within minutes and their customer service agents were very polite and helpful.
But don’t just take our word for it:
Why we like Cloudways:
- Our GTmetrix, Pingdom and Google Page speed scores shown above improved immensely and speak for themselves;
- Even though we use a lot of images & gifs, our page loads instantly;
- Supports PHP 7.3 (unlike HostGator which offers only 7.1 for shared web hosting), MariaDB 10.3 for MySQL, Cloudflare;
- Comes with its own caching plugin called “Breeze” which covers all your basic needs;
- Offer a free migration that you can request, as well as a migration plugin which is easy to use (we did our migration using the plugin);
- Based on our experience – great customer service;
- Free Let’s Encrypt SSL is included;
- Have strong reviews 1, 2, 3 and 4
Join Our Weekly Newsletter
Get our tutorials about blogging, hosting, Pinterest, how to drive traffic to your blog, caching, and image optimization. No charge. No spam. Only knowledge.